Tuesday, September 10, 2013

American Dreamless?

So since I normally can't be bothered to actually find a newspaper or a TV show and surf through all the news, every day I try to go on yahoo which easily accessible through my crappy laptop and that is where I found an article which I will link below. Basically, it was talking about how the idea of what "the American dream" means has changed, that instead of wishing for a house in the suburbs with a white picket fence and two straight children, people now simply long for basics like financial stability, being debt free, and having a well-stocked retirement fund. Then the article asked if we as a people were becoming more pessimistic about what we could achieve and if cynicism was on the rise.
    I am not a person who does well with change, I try and avoid it if I can, but, society is constantly changing in every country including America. Stuff happens, for us it was the whole economic downfall, before that, the sexual revolution. Women can vote! (I’m shocked too) and Colorado recently legalized marijuana. We may not be getting more "cynical" per say, but instead we are growing more "realistic" we are changing with our world. Is it a good change? Hard to say. Some people might say it's sad that we are wishing for what seems like so little. But honestly, that's what I think I've always wanted. And maybe, after all these years of war and job loss and protests, Americans feel like laying low for a while, watching some crappy TV, and not having to worry about whether they can pay for the iPhone 12345S.

No comments: