Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Shouldn't Make a Difference

I am a female, if you weren't aware, and I watch television (I know,shocking). But, what if I told you that more often than not,when you are watching my fellow ladies on TV, you are seeing the same woman over and over again?
  Below, I am going to show you three promotional posters for some of network TV's most watched shows:


NCIS




Look at the women in these posters. Notice how they look, physically first. Do you see how every single one of them is wearing neutral, fitted clothing? How they seem to be on the taller side? How all but one of them is Caucasian and has the same slim, curve-less, body type?
Don't get me, wrong, I'm not saying that having a character who looks like this is wrong, but having all your characters exactly the same seems very constricting to me.
America is a country made up of different body types and races and personalities and styles. I don;t think it's right that these are the only women network TV show because it helps perpetuate the idea that there is a "normal" way to look.
That idea is ridiculous. I know people who have had eating disorders, and I think that veery girl is insecure about herself in some way, partially due to the way we are portrayed in the media.
And i bet, that if you watched these shows, and were asked to give each girl a personality trait that differentiate shed form the others, you would be able to find little to nothing to say.



No comments: