Sunday, March 2, 2014

Steven Moffat Makes Me Mad

    The title of this post pretty sums it up but basically I'm going to go on a tiny little rant. Just a tiny one.
 Lots of people I know have issues with Steven Moffat's views and how they are shown in his writing.
  There are two complaints I hear about Moffat the most consistently: the first is that he writes terrible female characters, which even before the new season of Sherlock I could vouch for. The second was that he was a bit of a homophobe.
    Now this I wasn't so sure about. After all, he wrote Doctor Who and whilst there weren't anything but heterosexual relationships on that show it wasn't really a show based on relationships anyway. However, there is the whole partnership between John and Sherlock in the series Sherlock that had many fans wanting the two of them to get together in a more, how do I put this, intimate way.
Can You Feel the Gay Tonight?


  I completely understand if Moffat and his writers did not envision John Watson and Sherlock Holmes as a couple, that is their choice. However, in season 3, when the fan excitement began rising, Moffat went to extreme lengths to display both John and Sherlock's heterosexuality, even going to such lengths as to change their character's behaviors which I find appalling.
   There is a way to show that your two characters are not romantically interested in each other without randomly changing one of their behaviors and tossing both characters randomly and without much background into relationships with other people.
   I don't know precisely why it bugs me so much but I hate to see well-written characters ruined simply for the sake of one man's prejudices.

No comments: