Monday, March 10, 2014

Unknowing

      It's been all over the news these past couple days that Flight 370 from Malaysia Airlines went missing. And they mean missing. It's been days and there's been absolutely no sign of the plane or nay parts of it despite a huge rescue initiative.
      CNN posted an article titled "Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370: What we know and don't know". The things that they did know were mostly basic: how many people were on the plane, who the crew was, and where the plane was headed. But, after it vanished in southeast Asia, people are growing suspicious. Family members are terrified, and there is nothing but speculation to give them.
Family members of passengers are hounded by the press
   I think what makes this event especially difficult for the passenger's families and frightening for others is because of the uncertainty. The unknown is scary sometimes, and fear can induce many different reactions in people. Take a very trivial example: I used to be terrified of bees. When I was little, I was in Arizona in 80 degree weather in a yellow sundress. But, when we came near some flowers, I panicked thinking the bees would see my dress and I put on a fleece and didn't take it off all day. Then, in 4th grade, a bee stung me. After that, I wasn't so afraid.
   That example is a mere scruple compared to what's happening with Flight 370, but I think that in any sense, fear of the unknown is one of the most difficult fears.

No comments: