Thursday, November 7, 2013

Why "30 Rock" rocks

 
   




My mom and I started watching "30 Rock" together since, it was on Netflix and we'd heard it was good. I ended up passing her by about 5 seasons but that's not the point. The point is that "30 Rock" may be one of the best or at least, most unique, shows out there and I'll tell you why.
  Tina Fey's character is I think, the element which makes "30 Rock" so great. So many times, especially since television writing is a male dominated industry, female characters seemed to be used for one of three things: The personality-less/ too-attractive-for-him wife (George Lopez, Everybody Loves Raymond, every single Disney Show), the "tough" girl who wears booty shorts and fires a gun (every action movie ever), or the clingy girlfriend (see any TV show on Spike). Tina Fey's character (Liz Lemon) is none of these.
   Her character manages to be strong without shooting people up, has annoying quirks without being boring, and has an actual personality and loves and hates things and isn't perfect. I think that there should be more Liz Lemons on television and in movies. It's hard to explain just how awesome of a role model she is because there is so much depth to her that female characters often seem to miss. I can't explain all the things that make up Liz Lemon, all I can say is that if you really want to see for yourself, go watch "30 Rock". It might surprise you.

3 comments:

Josh S. said...

Happy birthday Shannon!

So, I have never personally seen a full episode of 30 Rock, but I have heard many great reviews. Now that I think back all the examples you gave of all the shows and movies with weak female characters, I agree with you that the general trend is to have women be more or less a passive addition (at least on the popular shows). The only counter example I can think of is the mom from modern family. I would argue that she is very different from most female characters on TV because of her strong will and strength as a mom.

Maddie C said...

Josh I have to agree with you that there's a parallel in the mom and modern family and Liz Lemon. They are both strong and somewhat uptight characters because they have the task of controlling the chaos that always seems to surround them. However, I also have to agree with Shannon that Liz Lemon is a far more dynamic character. I think the reason why Liz Lemon is such a unique character on TV is because she goes completely against many of the stereotypical ideas for an American woman. For example, she doesn't care about having a wedding, she is the one who works in most of her relationships, and is constantly told by Jack to act more ladylike. I think Liz Lemon is such a unique character because Tina Fey isn't afraid to defy gender roles.

Jonathan J said...

Liz Lemon is a classic, but if you're going to talk 30 Rock, you can't forget Jack Donaghy. Possibly the coolest dude ever. I've watched the whole series and I can say with confidence he is the only fictional person to have an actual impact on my life. He got me interested in business, and now I am looking to major in that in college. Fantastic show overall.