Monday, October 21, 2013

NRA: National Rifle Anxiety

          
           I am worried about a lot of things: college, homework, actual work, but most of all how this world is going to end up.
           I found this article on the majestical Internet today (as always linked below) that mentions a shooting at a Nevada school that occurred this very day. Gun violence seems to be an almost standard news story today and I worry about whether this is the future.
         The article stated that an unidentified student opened fire in an assembly and killed a beloved teacher as well as wounding two other students.
        This isn't the first time shootings like this have happened. 2013 seemed to be the year of ruining people's lives be it another war, bombing the Boston marathon, Sandy Hook, and now this.
         I wasn't alive in many decades before this, sop I don;t know if sometimes there are just periods where violence just escalates. I don;t know if this is just a phase or if this violence and this mental; instability is the way our future is going. I'm scared. I'm scared of all the wars and all the nukes and all the people hating each other. I hate it.
       I don't know everything and I can't fix everything, but I'm just wondering: Is this the way our future is going? Is this what America and the rest of the world has to look forward to? And are all of you as worried as I am?

The article: http://news.yahoo.com/student-kills-teacher-hurts-2-boys-nev-school-213556027.html

4 comments:

Josh S. said...

After watching part of the news broadcast, I was beyond shocked. In an interview with a young boy, it was revealed what a horrific and shocking occurrence it was. To think that there are still tragedies like school shootings going on after Sandy Hook is terrifying. One thing that sets apart humans from other animals, is our ability to learn from our mistakes. Without being able to do that, we are really not much smarter than sea otters (no offense). I'm so sad...why can't we learn? I don't know who or what to blame for the reoccurrence of events like this, regardless something needs to be done.

Jack O said...

Hell yes I'm scared Shannon! The world is a very different place than say forty years ago. And the simple reason is because we cannot get along on anything. Where there is disconnect, there is no harmony. And when there is no harmony, there is chaos. I think thats like the jedi code or something. I agree with Josh in that we must learn from our mistakes, otherwise history repeats itself. I have done some research, and actually wrote my third quarter paper on school shootings last year. And what I concluded was that school security must be beefed up in order to protect the teachers and students. On top of that, students need to be more serious and vocal when they see suspicious activity. You will never be able to control gun violence, but you can reduce the harm it has by being educated and aware of where you are at all times.

Leah L. said...

All this violence freaks me out too. I agree with Josh that we have to learn from our mistakes, but I feel like just learning isn't enough if no one is actually going to do anything. Learning isn't enough if you're just gonna sit there and point fingers at the opposing political party.

S. Bolos said...

Hi Shannon,

I Love your friendly style of writing -- it certainly invites others to participate in the conversation.

However, this post is not nearly weighty enough. You need to do a little research and link to these sources and analyze them. Consider WHY this is happening and whether your perceptions match up to the reality of gun violence, for instance.